Welcome

Come with us as we make our way from Good Ole' Texas to fabulous Hong Kong, China.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Santa vs. A Bunny Rabbit!

In this corner, wieghing in at a fat and jolly 250 pounds is.........SANTA CLAUS!

In this corner, standing in at 100 pounds dripping wet, including ears and tail is..........A BUNNY RABBIT!

Okay, now that I've got my introduction, allow me to explain. All through the festive holiday among the mall's Sleighs, Santa's, Elves, and Candy Canes we always saw a random Rabbit thrown in.

Dan and I joked and thought that maybe they just had their Christian holidays mixed up. Or hey maybe, they just like Rabbits.

It took the whole month before someone finally told us that the Rabbits were because it is almost Chinese New Year and this will be the year of the Rabbit!

That's okay, personally I'm used to feeling stupid so I just used it as an excuse to roll around on the floor, laughing my ass off, because Dan's and my theories were so far off and it wasn't the Chinese confusing everything. It was the usual "Stupid Americans".

So, anyway that lead me to feel like I should include you in our Chinese New Year's festivities with some history.

There will be no quiz at the end of this blog, so relax!

Chinese New Year:

It's always around the end of January, but like many holidays, not always on the same day. This year it is actually February 3rd.

As I'm sure you have all been to a Chinese Restaurant with those paper place mats showing all the animals and years they are associated with. These are based on the 12 animals that supposedly appeared before Buddha.

They are....A Pig, A Dog, A Rooster, A Monkey, A Goat, A Horse, A Snake, A Dragon, A Rabbit, A Tiger, An Ox, and A Rat.

There is an animal for every year and just like our zodiac signs, the animal for the year you are born supposedly says much about your personality.

I found this pretty entertaining and also eerily close to correct, especially Dan's. I will tell you ours and then give you the website so you can find your own.

Dan-1947 and Samantha-2007 are both born in the years of the PIG.

PIG: People born under this animal are extremely nice, good-mannered, and tasteful. Perfectionists who enjoy finer things, but are not perceived as snobs. They enjoy helping others and are also good companions until someone crosses them. they are intelligent and always learning.

(I don't know about you, but I think this sounds exactly like Dan.)

Hayden-1994 is year of the Dog.

DOG: Loyal, faithful, honest, dis-trustful and often guilty of telling white lies. Temperamental, prone to mood swings, dogmatic, and sensitive. Excel in business, but has trouble finding mates.

(this is Hayden in a nut-shell)

Me-1974

TIGER: Authoritative, self-possessed with good leadership skills. Charming, ambitious, courageous, warm hearted, highly seductive, moody, intense, and ready to pounce at any time.

(Now I do see much of this in me, but if you do, good cause it is complementary. I mean I am MOODY, but usually more so once a month. lol)

So go to this website, see which animal you are and let me know. I am curious to see how well the animals match all my friends and loved ones.

Until next week, let your inner animal roar!

www.chinesezodiac.com/signs

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment